Yep, it happens.
The real shit that knocks you on your ass and makes you want to totally hide under the covers, with little motivation to do anything.
That’s how I’ve felt for the last ten days.
But it can pop up at anytime – a divorce, a move to a new city, illness, even setbacks in your business.
You feel defeated by something MAJOR in your life and the last thing you want to do is ANY. LITTLE. THING if you’re being honest.
So, how do you keep making progress in your business?
First, feel those feelings. Take a day or two or whatever feels best to process those emotions. Stuffing them down doesn’t make them go away. They may give that appearance, but will actually lie dormant. And I promise they will flare up again and they’ll probably bring a few friends to the party.
Find a safe place, space or person to share not only your fears and sadness and discouragement, but also people and things that lift you up when you are ready.
And then, when you are ready (see, there’s that honoring YOURself thing again), you start again.
Little by little, step by step, in a way that feels right for you.
Here’s what I’ve been leaning on this past week:
- my husband, The Photographer, with his endless support and love
- my dogs, Big Dog and Little Dog, who are always there for cuddles and laughs and are just so darn cute
- my cousin Sarah, whose courage and bravery and compassion is inspiring beyond measure
- Susan Hyatt, who is raw, empowering and a total unicorn of motivation
- the amazing women of Pantsuit Nation, just complete and utter AWE in that community
- comforting movies and tv shows, like Love Actually and Gilmore Girls (side note – movies and tv is not numbing for me, I totally engage with the medium and even considered a career as a critic growing up)
How do you get through times where working is the last item on the list?